Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Advanced Laser Cutting Technologies
 
Tell us about your company. How did the company get started? What makes you stand out from other laser-cutting companies?
My father Don started a company in the late 70's that produced steel rule dies for packaging. As there were very few lasers around then he had many requests for other "job shop" projects particularly for the local furniture industry. So He started another company which was the predecessor of ALCT. We were one of the first companies in the world that laser cut decorative wood products. I was born into it.. I used to program machines using math and I could rebuild a laser before I could legally drive.
 
What are your favorite kinds of projects to work on?
I like any type of project that is a creative challenge for me. Right now I am working on a new product line for inlaid flooring. You can see a preview at carpentermarquetry.com. The php code for the "design your own" interface was quite hard for me to figure out.
 
Can you describe a “typical day” at ALCT?
On a typical day we produce 6-10 custom orders, all with their own unique details and ranging from small one offs to medium volume. We don't turn away most custom projects and they are quite diverse. I find it rewarding because I have to figure out how to make it all work, in time to make our customers happy. 
 
What’s the most unusual project you’ve worked on?
That's actually a hard question for me. Most of what we do could be considered unusual. In the past year we did a project for decorative shades for a pipe organ celebrating the 250th anniversary of Oxford. We did marquetry for a table that had 8,000 pieces on the face.We helped make some invitations for the president of Gaboon which Beyonce preformed at. We made ceiling tiles and wall panels for a castle restoration. We did the decorative fret work for a civil war area home from tidewater cypress.
 
What draws you to work with artists? How do you organize collaborations?
We are thankful to make our living doing decorative things and working with creative people. Most of what we do is collaborations with other craftsmen and most often they find us. I find it amazing what projects find their way to us.
 
What was your reaction when you first saw the concept drawings for MODULAR22?
It was almost exactly what we were talking about doing for Art Prize a few months before. I liked the thought of a collaborative artwork that would take on a life of it's own.
 
What was it like to work on MODULAR22? Please describe the process.
The structure of Modular22 was quite simple: rectangles with slots in them. Jessica sent us the files, we programmed them, cut up the blanks on the saw and then laser cut them. Most jobs take quite a bit of "finesse" in programming and producing them... but Modular22 was very easy to do. I also took some of my "stock designs" and did some programming voodoo to show some more complex laser cutting on the panels.
 
 
 
  
 
What sort of projects would you like to work on in the future?
We are game for what you bring us. I am working on two projects over the winter. Inlaid flooring and laser cut stencils. We have been selling stencils on eBay and I hope to further develop our web site offthewallstencils.com.  I I would like to collaborate with artists on our stencil line.. if any one is interested. 
 
What is the best way to get in contact with you?

4 comments:

  1. very nice.
    <a href="http://www.powertechcnclaser.com/laser-cutting-job-work.html
    ><b><i>laser cutting job work</b></i></a> see this for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to recommended your article. You can also refer to us laser cutting job work see this for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a fun project to work Dan and Jessica on.
    If you like what you see we would love to do some work with you.
    Also, Check out our new site at:
    www.diyfretwork.com
    Thanks, Corey

    ReplyDelete