Thursday, December 13, 2012

MODULAR22 Artist Profile - Matthew Coglianese

Website:
www.thepigshark.com

Favorite Color:
black

Where were you born/raised:
Chicago (south side)

Education:
Bachelors in Computer Graphic Design, Lewis University, 2004

Describe your work in 140 characters or less:
The focus of my work relies heavily on my photography which is then digitally manipulated to ultimately create that “final” image. I have created a lot of different types of art, yet I find that when I am altering my photographs and manipulating visual truths, that I enjoy viewing these works the most.

Current obsessions:
Mars Volta, hand stands, borderlands 2, bbq pork chop sandwiches, craft beer, and zerberts

Favorite piece/project you’ve done:
This is a newer piece from a series I have started working on. It is also my favorite piece that I have done in 2012. Series is Titled “UFO”

What is your least favorite question/comment about your work and how do you respond?
“How did you do that ?” and “How did you come up with that idea ?” are questions that make me cringe just a little bit internally. Aside from slipping on the toilet seat and hitting his head how did DOC really come up with the idea of the Flux Capicator ?

22 likes to focus on the overlap between art and design. Do you consider yourself an artist or designer?
I would consider myself more of a designer, as my foundation in art was half built upon an interest in architecture. Although I left that part of my life behind, those skills never completely disappeared and are now carried through in my day job as a designer for an awning company. For my personal work I just happen to bring my designs to life in a creative and artistic manner. A lot of my design is conceptualized and exists in the planning stages of my ideas and is further built upon as I go through a project from beginning to end. In the broadest sense of the words, I simply make art by designing.

Tell us about the piece(s) you created for MODULAR22:
The pieces I created for Modular 22 were from photographs that I digitally manipulated to create a visually evocative image that may be strange in subject and appearance to some. Example 1: “An eagles head on a old mans body sitting in a chair in an abandoned run down decrepit building” Example 2: “An arm coming through (from the inside) a broken T.V. screen that is sitting on a raggedy couch in an abandoned church” Example 3: people in a field with war planes over head that have dropped bombs, the bombs being mid-flight capturing the moment before these people are about to perish.

 



Anything else you would like to share with us?
As far as what I have planned for 2013. I am working on putting together a rather ambitious project to do a large scale photo shoot capturing as many people as I can find simultaneously doing a hand stand. If I can get 400 people doing this It will be a new Guiness World Record.

For more information on this project or interested in being a part of it, please contact me at thepigshark@gmail.com and check out my website www.thepigshark.com


No comments:

Post a Comment