Wednesday, December 19, 2012

MODULAR22 Artist Profile - Sarah Kate Burgess

Website: 
 
Favorite Color:
indigo

Where were you born/raised:
Newburyport Massachusetts

Education:
UMass Dartmouth and Cranbrook Academy of Art
 
Describe your work in 140 characters or less:
I collect objects, deconstruct them, and reassemble them into wearable and non-wearable objects that reflect upon the body.
 
Current obsessions (art, design, music, movies, whatever, etcetera):
bundt cakes

Favorite piece/project you’ve done:
My most favorite is what I am working on now, but it's not done yet! So here is an image from my last series, entitled 'HairMash'


What is your least favorite question/comment about your work and how do you respond?
'Wow! You are sooooo creative, I wish I could do that, but I can't even draw a stick figure.' It is a misconception that all artists can draw, or that creativity is only found in the arts, we all have bursts of creativity it just finds different outlets.

22 likes to focus on the overlap between art and design. Do you consider yourself an artist or designer?
I consider myself an artist, designer, craftsperson!

Tell us about the piece(s) you created for MODULAR22: 
I tried to make an image that confused. By placing 'real' chain on fabric printed chain, I was hoping to raise questions about what is 'real' and 'true' and also how we assign value.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment