Friday, December 7, 2012

MODULAR22 Artist Profile - Tommaso Lesnick


Website:

Favorite Color:
For years I thought it was green, but it turns out it is orange.
 
Where were you born/raised:
Florence, Italy and Birmingham, AL
 
Education:
Knox College, BA
San Francisco Art Institute, MFA
 
Describe your work in 140 characters or less:
I like the mundane and the quotidian. I like repetition and multiples. I like off-the-shelf parts. I like to wrap stuff. I like string and clingfilm and tape.
 
Current obsessions (art, design, music, movies, whatever, etcetera):
I don't really obsess. I mull. I do love shoes, however.

Favorite piece/project you’ve done:
Generally it's whatever project I'm going to do next, which I'm usually starting to work out in my head. Pic available soon.

What is your least favorite question/comment about your work and how do you respond?
Questions and comments always reveal so much about the asker that I'm rarely bothered by them. Every question is fair game if asked honestly. It's the bullshit questions that bug me. Those usually get bullshit answers.
 
22 likes to focus on the overlap between art and design. Do you consider yourself an artist or a designer?
Yes.
 
Tell us about the piece(s) you created for MODULAR22:
I thought it would be fun to work sculpturally, taking one 4-panel unit and treating it as a single element. I wrapped it with tape and some clingfilm and string, then lots more tape. I finished off with a little bit of tape, too. Working exclusively in black and white with these particular materials was a new, interesting challenge.




 
Anything else you would like to share with us?
I think it is so cool that you guys commissioned your own song from Taylor Swift and that it made it on to her new album! Rock on, 22!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment