Sunday, December 16, 2012

MODULAR22 Artist Profile - Christopher Santoso

Website:
christophersantoso.com

Favorite Color:
Pantone Reflex Blue
Pantone 804


Where were you born/raised:
Born in La Crosse WI, 1989
Minneapolis, MN, 1990-1998,
La Crosse WI, 1998 to 2007


As you can tell by the migrational pattern,
I've lived in the midwest my entire life.

Education:
Minneapolis College of Art and Design

Describe your work in 140 characters or less:
For the most part, I leave that up to the viewers and the clients,
but whatever I'm influenced by, at the time, addresses the vernacular of my work.


Current obsessions (art, design, music, movies, whatever, etcetera):
Ghetto House, Juke, Footwork, Sacred Bones Records, No-Wave,
The Future, Ableton Live, Arabic Culture, HelloMe, Open Source Publishing,
Base Design, Piet Zwart, Cults of America, Wilfred. Punk, Post-Punk, Black Metal,
Lo-fi Recording, Hamilton Morris, Psychedelic Culture, Rick Valicenti's theory of Human Presence (now and forever)

22 likes to focus on the overlap between art and design. Do you consider yourself an artist or designer?
Thats a great question. Since the personal practice of designers has recently become more focused on self production, it's been able to blur the so-called line between art and design. However, in this case I find myself conflicted between the two titles,
and whether both apply to me. I would like to consider what I create as both art and design, but I actively engage in various other creative outlets, such as music, curating, and writing. In my case, I'd like to think adhering to a these titles are irrelevant.


All around, I would generally consider myself a creative problem solver. I make things to build upon an internal need or convey someone else's message, or to improve on my own practice, or to improve as a person. Even so, if people were to ask me the about the context of specific projects, then I would address my pieces as design or art, given it's appropriate application.

Personally speaking, if what I create something to communicate a message clearly (by clearly, I don't necessarily mean modern and sleek) then its design.  If what I create is begotten to express something that only I understand, then it's art. Of course, there will always be that overlap. :)

Tell us about the piece(s) you created for MODULAR22:
My piece represents a slew of processes and ideas that I've been toying with for quite some time. I wanted to create something that represented and explored my eastern ethnic roots. I'm half Indonesian (with some chinese and dutch in the mix), and with that being said, I'm very far removed from my extend family in Indonesia. What's interesting about
Indonesia is that language is represented in Roman Script, yet the country has the largest Muslim population in the world and that demographic uses a distinct form of Arabic writing.


This piece was mean't to not only derive understanding about myself, but developed alongside to shed light on the current status of Muslim xenophobia in this country that is inundated by the American Mass media.

No comments:

Post a Comment