Saturday, November 10, 2012

MODULAR22 Artist Profile - Amy Nicole Dosen

Website:
www.amynicoledosen.com

Favorite Color:
Neon Pink.
 
Where were you born/raised:
Chicago, IL
 
Education:
BA in Art & Design, DePaul University, 2012 & MFA in 2D Design, Cranbrook Academy of Art, 2014
 
Describe your work in 140 characters or less:
Girl living in 2012, trying to make sense of the world while recovering from crippling obsession with the 80s & 90s. Lots of neon and profanities.

Current obsessions (art, design, music, movies, whatever, etcetera):
Neutraface 2 by House Industries, Coke Zero, Risograph Duplicators, Publication design, Buying ridiculous web domains, $5 Burger Night at the Emory in Ferndale

Favorite piece/project you’ve done:
My favorite project so far has been designing and art directing Threshold, an art & lit magazine at DePaul University. I'm obsessed with book & magazine design, and it was amazing to be able to create an entire 120 page publication, from initial art direction, to production and print. It was a great growth and learning experience, and I am very pleased with the final prodcute.

What is your least favorite question/comment about your work and how do you respond?
I hate whenever people ask me to narrow down what I "want to do" or anything related to categorizing myself/planning for the future. I'm still trying to figure it out while making rad stuff in the mean time.

22 likes to focus on the overlap between art and design. Do you consider yourself an artist or designer?
Both, for sure! I call myself a designer first, but I am particularly interested in where design & art overlap. I like to use graphic design methodology and the medium of design to create art that pushes the boundaries between the two.

Tell us about the piece(s) you created for MODULAR22:
While designing my panels, I was thinking about space, specifically stars, and how we relate to them scientifically/personally. I remember being a small child and wishing on stars, seeing them as glimmering orbs of hope in the night. As an adult, it's depressing to remember all of those long lost hopes and wishes, most of which never came true, that were offered up to stars that were already dead when I wished on them. It's a juxtaposition of the innocence of childhood and the harsh reality of life.

 
 
Anything else you would like to share with us?
I like to make rad stuff with awesome people. If you also like doing that, then we should probably be friends and collaborate.

No comments:

Post a Comment