Friday, November 16, 2012

MODULAR22 Artist Profile - Anna Reber

Favorite Color:
green

Where were you born/raised:
Berne / Berne Switzerland

Education:
Originally I studied economics and got then into art. From 2005 - 2007 I took private classes with the artist Ricardo Abella www.ricardoabella.ch : figurative pencil, charcoal, nude drawing, figurative and abstract oil and acryl painting. 2010 School of the Art Institute, Chicago, USA - summerterm.

Describe your work in 140 characters or less:
In my work I am creating space on the canvas, igniting in the observer positive emotions and good feelings. I am working on large scale abstractions and, on the other hand, I am working very figurative, sometimes on smaller scales. I let myself inspire by the world around me, by the colors I see in daily life and the composition of how things are arranged in nature. My paintings allow the viewer creative space for his own imagination.

Current obsessions (art, design, music, movies, whatever, etcetera):
art, music, nature

22 likes to focus on the overlap between art and design. Do you consider yourself an artist or designer?
artist - even I sometimes do some designs, especially Logos for Companies

Tell us about the piece(s) you created for MODULAR22:
I used to work for 10 years for Swissair as a flight attendant. On duty as a flight attendant I met my husband on the flight to Washington on October 27, 1997 on the good old Boeing 747 of Swissair. Swissair was in Switzerland like the 'holy cow', everybody was in love with Swissair. Swissair was just Swissness. On October 2001 the impossible happened, Swissair got bankruptcy and was grounded. Swiss people, until today, do not really want to believe that Swissair does not anymore exist, they still today hope there will be once again a revival of the good old Swissair. I created this work for Modular22 because Swiss people still dream about Swissair and Swissair is so very much Swiss. I wanted to create something, which represents still today Switzerland and which is full of souvenirs for me. It was as well thanks to Swissair I got to know Chicago, the Art Institute and the city, where I almost feel at home for all these years I am always traveling to it.

 


Anything else you would like to share with us?
I will work in future more on the subject Swissness. I am planning for upcoming shows to do a whole cycle about Swissness, everything which represents Switzerland. It will be more figurative painting, perhaps even a bit design. The first painting will be of Barry, the world famous Swiss dog of the Hospice of the great St. Bernhard.

No comments:

Post a Comment