Sunday, November 18, 2012

MODULAR22 Artist Profile - Rebecca Renee Belmore


Website:

Favorite Color:
Green, I've always been fond of it.

Where were you born/raised:
A little town, south of Chicago (Lansing, IL)

Education:
I'm currently studying at a community college, South Suburban. The faculty, including Eric Tucker, are really hands on and diverse, which bring forth all aspects of art in a harmonious way.

Describe your work in 140 characters or less:
I'd like to call it sketchy and somewhat organic.

Current obsessions (art, design, music, movies, whatever, etcetera):
My current obsession has to be ceramics. I've just recently learned the ins and outs of the potter's wheel and I have to say, it's a blast. It's just that quick gesture of the hands creates this unique expression of the pot I'm making. It's also a very extensive medium to work with.


Favorite piece/project you’ve done (send pic):
This is my second piece that involved books. My first one only used one, but this time, there had to be over twenty or so recycled prints! They varied from textbooks, to lousy romantic novels to become this asymmetric piece of art.






22 likes to focus on the overlap between art and design. Do you consider yourself an artist or designer?
I'd like to classify myself as an artist, though both play roles in each others fields. One must design works of art and imagine the design itself.


Tell us about the piece(s) you created for MODULAR22:
The Kozo Birds are actually my three parakeets. The panel was derived from a couple of late night sketches of them; they seem surprising "wise" when they're sleepy. Also, this piece was ironically created with colored pencils, the complete opposite theme of MODULAR22.
The other panel I created was "Pattern". You wouldn't believe how many objects people point out in this piece. It's an artistic game of I Spy.



Anything else you would like to share with us?
This is my first time that my work has been featured in a gallery without any college involvement. It's quite exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment